1. Not covering topics that your audience is searching for.
With each algorithm update, Google is continuing to become more intuitive to what searchers are looking for. Google uses a process called semantic search, which analyzes the intention of what is typed into search queries and then produces a list of websites that best serve these intentions.
With all of this being said, the most successful bloggers think about the questions that their audience is typing into search queries and then dedicate blog posts that address these topics. By doing this, Google (and other search engines) will be able to gain a better understanding of the types of content that can be found on your website, therefore giving your website ranking a boost when these relevant questions are asked.
2. Not building enough deep links.
Most bloggers today are including links in their blog content back to their websites, but many of these links are just to their company’s homepage. However, if you really want to outrank your competitors, you need to be including links in your blog content that is to other relevant content on your blog. Linking to a specific, deeper page on your website can have a huge effect in boosting your ranking.
3. Making basic technical mistakes.
As you know, writing blog content can be time consuming. And, if you’re still handling this in-house, it can be easy to overlook some of the technical aspects of SEO.
Here are some of the most basic technical mistakes that we see business make that negatively impacts SEO:
- Not including proper categorization for blog posts (or not organizing blog content by category at all)
- Creating too many tags for content rather than focusing on using good category pages for your content
- Not optimizing the URL structure to include keywords and ensure that the site structure makes sense
- Not testing links to ensure that visitors are being directed to the right pages.
SEO is not an easy course to navigate, and this is especially true when it comes to your business blog. If you’re not happy with the results that you’re getting from your blogging efforts, check to see if you’re making one (or more) of these common blogging mistakes that hurts SEO and your website ranking.